Cosmetic Dentistry – Cosmetic Fillings
Modern Smile Dental performs “Safe Mercury removal” based on all guidelines from International Academy of Oral Medicine and Toxicology (IAOMT). Dr. Michelle M. Janbakhsh is a member of this organization.
Cosmetic fillings are composite fillings made of a mixture of glass or quartz filler in a resin medium that produces a tooth-colored filling that is nearly invisible in your mouth. Cosmetic fillings are the alternative to traditional amalgam fillings, and are used to replace areas of decay in a tooth. Cosmetic fillings bond very tightly to your existing teeth and work extremely well for small cavities. There is obviously no danger of metal-sensitivity.
The traditional older style “Amalgam” fillings are much darker than natural tooth structure, causing a sharp contrast with the color of your natural teeth. This is sometimes referred to as the “metal-mouth” look. Amalgams can corrode and leak over time, potentially staining teeth. Additionally, many are now concerned over the health consequences of mercury content in amalgams.
Amalgam fillings can fracture and crumble at the edges, and cause teeth to fracture due to the expansion/contraction of the metals in the filling. Many times during removal of an old amalgam filling, there is a chance there has been recurrent decay under the filling. This is due to the microscopic leakage that occurs along the edges of the filling. We recommend old amalgam fillings be removed when they are discovered to have cracks, leakage or decay.
The benefits of composite fillings:
- Aesthetics — the shade/color of the composite fillings can be closely matched to the color of existing teeth. Composites are particularly well suited for use in front teeth or visible parts of teeth.
- Bonding to tooth structure — composite fillings actually chemically bond to tooth structure, providing further support.
- Versatility — in addition to use as a filling material for decay, composite fillings can also be used to repair chipped, broken, or worn teeth.
- Tooth-sparing preparation — sometimes less tooth structure needs to be removed compared with amalgam fillings when removing decay and preparing for the filling.
- Our composite fillings are all BPA free.